Curmudgeon

Default Funky phone line problem

If there's no dial tone at the "outdoor box" where the line enters the home,
then it's Verizon's problem...and their expense.
They'll do exactly what you did (I assume) ...plug a phone into the outdoor
junction box.
Better still, call 'em on a cell phone when you can't get a dial tone...they
can test that from their office while it's happening".

"Julie" noaddress@nospam wrote in message
Hi, all --

I'm guessing that this is a problem with our phone company (Verizon), but

figured I'd throw this out there in case anyone has had similar ghosts
lurking in their homes:

We have one standard phone line; no extras except call waiting. We have a
Hot Call box attached to it, with our phone plugged into that.

Last Thursday we had massive electrical storms. The phone line went out
while I was on-line between storms. On Friday AM we had no dial tone even
at the outdoor box, but after I returned from an errand, lo and behold

there
was a message on our answering machine and the dial tone was back. I
figured that Verizon had fixed us up post-storm, and that was that. Wrong.

On Saturday AM, we lost our dial tone again. We went out an hour later

and
asked a neighbor two doors down whether she had lost phone either after

the
storm or that day. No, she hadn't. When we returned home a few hours
later, there was still no dial tone, but then suddenly the phone rang, and
after hanging up from that call, we again had a dial tone. I believe I

was
on-line when I lost the connection.

Tonight, the same thing happened. I was on-line and lost my connection.

No
dial tone again (though you can hear an airy sound in the background). My
husband went out to a payphone and called our house. The phone rang, and
after answering it and hanging up, bingo -- dial tone again. When the

phone
has no dial tone, by the way, I believe that outgoing calls cannot be

made.
I haven't tried it from the phone (just read in an old thread on this
newsgroup that you can sometimes call out without a dial tone), but I did
unwittingly try to get on-line once without a dial tone, and there was no
answer. We are always unable to get a dial tone at the box, too.

Anyway, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My husband
thinks it's related to being on-line, but I'm on-line a lot, so I'm not
convinced that that's not just coincidental. I'll give Verizon a call
tomorrow, but I'm afraid that they'll want to see the problem in action,

and
I'm not quite sure how to reproduce it.

Any thoughts?