Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Replace front tyres in pairs?

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 27/01/2021 10:29, R D S wrote:
I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from tyre
sellers )

Or shall I take it somewhere shifty and have a tube put in?

I have lost several front nearside tyres to road debris in the last few
years.

Mine havent been just the front nearside, most have
been the drivers side, and it was kerb strike one time, my
fault, and a kangaroo tail I ran over with the other one.

I've not had any problems replacing just that tyre,

Me neither. But it presumably varys with
how good the design of the car steering is.

although the other front tyre always had a good tread depth

Mine didnt always.

and I always buy the same tyre make and type.

I dont, I use what they have thats cheapest.

The ABS works so well and we dont get black ice or
snow either, so I dont need high performance tyres.

The roads can get a bit slick from tree stuff in droughts
but the ABS handles that fine with crash stops.