Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Wade[_2_] David Wade[_2_] is offline

Default Replace front tyres in pairs?

On 27/01/2021 10:29, R D S wrote:
I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from tyre
sellers )

Or shall I take it somewhere shifty and have a tube put in?

Legally you can fit different makes of tyres provided they are the same
size and construction. If the "good" tyre isn't very worn I would just
replace the punctured one with the closest in tread pattern I could find.

https://www.justtyres.co.uk/pages/tyres-and-the-law

I have had this done by reputable dealers recently.

I would not use a "part worn" as you don't know how they have been
maltreated. Putting a tube in isn't legal as the problem is the
structure of the tyre could been damaged. If you were to have an
accident then your insurance company might be unhappy...

Dave