Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Carver Mark Carver is offline

Default FM Transmitters...

On 26/01/2021 09:24, Chris Holmes wrote:

One for Brian???

I was wondering back when men were men and Libby Purves worked on the
other
side of the mic, radio transmitters used valves.

Are there now solid state devices (big MOSFETs??) capable of
producing the
necessary output power? Or are valves still used?

solid state up to a kilowatt or so. then add more modules. I don't
think valves used anywhere any more. Maybe up at magnetron frequencies

Many of the UHF DTT sites are using IoT 'valve' based transmitters, they
were installed about about 10 years at DSO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_output_tube