Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replace front tyres in pairs?

On 27/01/2021 11:37, Clive Page wrote:
On 27/01/2021 11:34, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 27/01/2021 10:29, R D S wrote:
I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from
tyre sellers )

Or shall I take it somewhere shifty and have a tube put in?

going abroad some countries demand same make and style on same axle...

Has anyone ever had their tyres inspected that closely when going
abroad?Â*Â* I've visited countries in winter like Germany and Austria
where they require winter tyres but have never had mine inspected, so
always wondered whether the extra cost and bother was really worth-while.

None of them require cars visiting the country to have matching tyres,
only that tyre places replace tyres in pairs.

There are some mountain passes where a requirement for winter tyres or
even chains is signposted and failure to adhere to those can result in
fines.

IIRC, Germany's requirement for winter tyres is not absolute. Germans
are "required" to change their tyres for winter or summer, but if they
fail to do so, they are simply assumed to be at fault in any accident.