Posted to uk.d-i-y
R D S[_2_] R D S[_2_] is offline

Default Replace front tyres in pairs?

On 27/01/2021 11:50, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 10:29:44 +0000, R D S wrote:

I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from tyre
sellers )

Or shall I take it somewhere shifty and have a tube put in?

When I was at uni very many years ago, a group of us went on a camping
tour of Europe during the summer vac. We had a couple of cars, and
because tubeless tyres were just beginning to come on the market, and
no one was really confident of their performance, one of the car
owners put tubes into their tubeless tyres, to be on the safe side,
belt and braces etc. Big mistake. They had several bursts, supposedly
due to friction between the inner tube and the casing of the tubeless
tyre, the latter not being designed to take tubes. Eventually they
took the tubes out altogether, and it was all OK after that.

Interesting. That isn't happening then.

The tyres aren't massively worn so it's paining me to replace one let
alone the pair.

In skint days of old there was a garage i'd go to that would stick a
tube in anything for a tenner. In hindsight a poor idea but moot if you
haven't £50 to spare.

The local garage/tyre place I use charge about £22 to fix a puncture
these days but i'm sure this one isn't repairable. They were taken over
by a chain and i've never been in the place since without a battle about
whether to do the tracking for another 50 quid.

The falsest economy ever though was 4 part worns from a seedy backstreet
place, they didn't bother balancing them and they never sealed properly
against the rims so they were in constant need of inflation!