Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FM Transmitters...

The signal on 252 is compromised by another station these days, sadly.
That transmitter was as I'm sure folk know a semi legal commercial outlet
trying to gain access to the uk market but eventually closed and the
transmitter taken over by RTE.
Its nowhere near as strong as radio 4, I guess in the age of the internet
it will eventually close, but the fact is that internet is not a radio
station, its reliant on the good will of those who own it to keep it running
in all weathers and natural disasters and wars, which of course I feel is pi
in the sky, since communication channels are the main target in any war.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , mm0fmf
scribeth thus
On 26/01/2021 09:52, Chris Green wrote:
Chris Holmes wrote:

One for Brian???

I was wondering back when men were men and Libby Purves worked on the
other
side of the mic, radio transmitters used valves.

Are there now solid state devices (big MOSFETs??) capable of producing
the
necessary output power? Or are valves still used?

There are big semiconductor devices capable.

However old transmitters are expensive to convert to new devices. I
seem to remember that the Radio 4 transmitter on 198kHz is still a
valve and that they only have one more spare.

The only one spare is ********. When the spare is placed into use, the
one removed goes back to the manufacturer to be rebuilt.

And companies around who will sell you a new one but as longwave seems
to be dying i can see the time 198 Khz will disappear like RTE 252 kHz
in Ireland may do it gets reprieved due to Irish here wanting to hear
what's going on back home!...
--
Tony Sayer