Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Lets put mains on to the pins of a plug!

Tim Streater wrote:
On 26 Jan 2021 at 08:45:55 GMT, Paul wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

The only thing which is really dire, is the dalliance with aluminium
wire.

And the wire nuts? :-P

Sure, there are wire nuts here.

Wire nuts, eh? Gosh, that's modern. The house I had (admittedly 35 years ago)
was built in the '30s (supposedly by a property developer for his mistress)
but was nice for a small house. It was all lathe and plaster, knob and tube.
Been demolished now, and replaced by what looks like a glass factory.

Well, sometimes in a house, you'll find one of these boxes. That at least
allows you to "decode" what the installer has done, within a room.

https://as2.ftcdn.net/jpg/01/27/72/5...V513ATlV.j pg

As long as the operator "calibrates" the wire nut and the
wire gauge, I don't have a problem with their usage. I've
taken apart a bodge and spotted it was never going to work
right, unless the materials were better matched. You
can't be fitting a load of dissimilar things into one
of those, because it won't compress all the items and
give a gas-tight connection.

https://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/...cal-wires.html

The packaging for the wire nuts (Marettes) usually has a
list of mixes of wire gauges that fit within a certain
color.

Some of those web pages comment, that the alternative,
putting two wires under a screw head, is not a good idea.
So that's the alternative.

Paul