Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Heating System Design for New House Builds

On 26/01/2021 09:24, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

One difficultyÂ* we discovered with a refurb and planned underfloor
heating throughout is adequate insulation over solid floor slab.

UFH for a refurb is obviously more difficult than a new build, from what
I can remember it's mostly(?) the new bits of Adam's site have UFH and
hopefully decent insulation under, the old bits have radiators, but it
looked like a rat's nest in the corridors.

Yes the new build bit had good insulation under the concrete.

And the screed over the pipes lifted because the plumbers took the heads
off the UFH manifold instead of using the rooms stats and gently
building up the temperature. They said the blending valve was at minimum
and there was too little screed.

Personally I would have started the UFH running before the laminate was
laid to allow the moisture to escape.

And out of all that pipework (you never saw the copper pipework in the
loft) there was just one leak.

--
Adam