Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Lets put mains on to the pins of a plug!

Andrew wrote:
On 26/01/2021 05:12, Paul wrote:

The house I was born in, which followed an older code,
I could not electrically heat the house without blowing
fuses, so I'd be pretty cold. In this house, I'm comfortable,
and it's the usual temperature in here, at 8.8kW. I started
out at 9.6kW, but that was slightly too much. The thermostats
on the heater are not properly designed, so I'm just manually
balancing temp as weather outside dictates. For a home
built to R2000 standard, you wouldn't need nearly as much
electricity for emergency heat.

It will cost me roughly $32 in local currency, to heat the
house per day in this way. That's about 7X what the natural
gas to do the same job, would cost.

Paul

Ouch. £18.40p per day according to the FX pages
on BBC 'teletext'.

Does anyone install air-source heatpumps in Canada ?.
Would they even work ??

How much are you paying per kWH ?.

In local currency, $0.25 per kWH during "peak" and
around $0.08 during the night. With the lekky running
24 hours at constant power level, you have to work out
the "blend" of X hours at peak and Y hours at off-peak.

I have air conditioning here, but it was never intended
for heating, and the price adder for the hardware
would make dual-mode a prohibitive novelty. Ground source
would make sense, whereas air source heat pumps, there'd be
two narrow intervals where it could be used. Typically
during these weeks of the year, an air source heat pump
here would be switched off, and you'd be on your backup
solution (natural gas). For the most part, it wouldn't
work at the moment. Two days ago, the output from a
heatpump would have been zero, if it was air source.
As of this morning, there would be a dribble coming
from an air source heat pump.

And there's paperwork if you do ground source. They're
particularly picky about defacing rivers or streams to
get your way. Digging a hole in the back yard would be OK.

When I run air conditioning here, I run the AC on
off-peak only. And conditions in the house are particularly
brutal around 5PM.

The plan wasn't to be running this way for very long,
but until I get the part for the heat, I'm stuck with
this solution for now. The part is covered under
warranty, which is why it doesn't make sense for
me to order one.

And on these furnaces, the air inducer always wears out.
Why they can't stock these, remains a mystery. Good service
means nothing to these people. You get better service
from criminals making license plates.

Paul