Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lets put mains on to the pins of a plug!

On 26/01/2021 05:12, Paul wrote:

On a stove, the stove-top elements run from 115V, the oven
element (bottom) or broiler element (top) run from 230V.
The four pin 30A connector gives access to all three wires
above, plus I presume the fourth pin is green safety ground.

What power rating are these? Is that the right way around? the stove-top
elements are usually higher powered than the ovens, so I'd have expected
them to be on 230V.

Our stove-top (actually a separate induction hob) elements (4 elements)
total a maximum of 9.7kW, so can pull 40A at 240V. Okay there is
diversity, but not immediately if on the odd occasion that you power up
all four at once and all are heating up.

Even using just the two largest elements (3.7kw and 2.8kw on boost -
common when starting with two cold pans) can take 27A. And it would not
be unusual to be boiling a pan of water on a third (2.8kw - unboosted)
element.