Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Question about TV aerials (Bill Wright?)

On 25/01/2021 11:26, wrote:

"Message received" about installing in the attic; I've found some data
suggesting 8-10dB attenuation so clearly that's a non-starter. I'd
wanted to try it because a 3-section ladder isn't enough to get to the
bottom of the mast so it needs a roof climb on 80 year-old clay tiles
with a pitch of 60 degrees.

Also the main problem with a LARGE high gain aerial may be positioning.
While you loft may have headroom the pointy bit is tapers to nothing so
you could end up with the aerial being closer to the floor of the loft.

I've had success in a medium reception area with a short, 1m (ish) long
log periodic aerial mounted up high in a loft space - followed by a low
(ish) gain amp.