Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Question about TV aerials (Bill Wright?)

Well loft space is probably a non starter as weather problems will be
magnified when you get wet roves or snow. I'm not up in the modern ways of
aerials, but if the signals are fringe, you might not be able to do much
better without other issues happening, like co channel from other places
during lift conditions making the reception worse.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
We're in a "variable reception" area for Ridge Hill mast, about 20 miles
away. The Humax STB reports a very weak signal on most channels but the
picture is OK for much of the time - the boss would like it to be OK all
the time so I need some advice.
The current aerial is a 16 element Yagi, with a masthead amp and newly
replaced Webro WF100 cable; all connections are good. The house is tall
and the aerial is on a 1m'ish mast attached to a tall'ish chimney
(worryingly, a bit above the lightning conductor!).

It looks like I need to replace the aerial with a higher-gain type so I'm
wondering whether to go for a group A multi-boom type, a Yagi18A, an XB16A
or ... ? Also, the attic has lots of headroom (about 9 feet in the centre)
so, with a higher gain aerial, I'm tempted to try it in the Attic to make
life easier, but have no idea what attenuation the block walls might
cause(?).
All suggestions gratefully received.