Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Question about TV aerials (Bill Wright?)

williamwright wrote:
On 24/01/2021 18:13, wrote:
We're in a "variable reception" area for Ridge Hill mast, about 20
miles away. The Humax STB reports a very weak signal on most channels
but the picture is OK for much of the time - the boss would like it to
be OK all the time so I need some advice.
The current aerial is a 16 element Yagi, with a masthead amp and newly
replaced Webro WF100 cable; all connections are good. The house is
tall and the aerial is on a 1m'ish mast attached to a tall'ish chimney
(worryingly, a bit above the lightning conductor!).

From experience of lightning damaged aerials and houses it appears not
to make any difference how high the aerial is relative to the lightning
conductor or anything else. Lighting rarely strikes the aerial direct;
if it does it's fairly obvious because you can't find the aerial or the
cable the next day. Most lighting damage to aerials is caused by a
strike to the building.

It looks like I need to replace the aerial with a higher-gain type so
I'm wondering whether to go for a group A multi-boom type, a Yagi18A,
an XB16A or ... ?

Heavy/big aerials need a strong fixing, and they need to be well away
from masonry or anything else.

Also, the attic has lots of headroom (about 9 feet in the
centre) so, with a higher gain aerial, I'm tempted to try it in the
Attic to make life easier, but have no idea what attenuation the block
walls might cause(?).

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
no please don't put it in the loft.

I suggest you check the aerial alignment and make sure it isn't near
anything, then fit a masthead amp of moderate gain (at the aerial) and
see what happens. Even if you change the aerial you'll need a masthead amp.

Blakes:

Proception proMHD11M 1-Way UHF Medium Gain Masthead Amplifier; 1 Input;
1 Output-16dB

PROPSU11F 1-Way F-Type Inline Power Supply; 1 Input; 1 Output-12v 100mA

Bill

With an antenna that nice, and at that distance, why isn't
this "just working" ?

That's my first question.

Maybe there's some on-axis multipath ?

Paul