Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Heater boiler problem

On 1/24/2021 3:08 PM, wrote:
Things are getting weirder by the minute...

Thanks to you, I found what looks like a fifth switch, just two feet or so above the floor, on a horizontal pipe that runs directly in. It's tiny, old, metallic and dusty (not colored). It's also set perpendicular to the pipe. (All the other boilers have that tiny switch set parallel to the pipe.)

Trouble is, strong as I am, I can't budge it with my fingers. It's not even quite clear whether it's SUPPOSED to be movable, so I'm not going to risk breaking it.

Does that pipe go to the burner control gas valve (with the pilot button
on it probably)? If so, that is probably what you need to open. By the
way, it is a valve, not a switch. Switches generally control electricity.

How big is "tiny"? If it is a relief valve (temperature /pressure
generally) you don't want to mess with it. These generally have a fairly
light sheet metal "trigger" to "test them" but you really don't want to
mess with them. If what you see has a fairly strong handle, likely cast
brass that looks designed to turn, it should be a valve, and if it is on
the gas pipe as described above, it should turn.

Old gas valves can become very stiff do to old lubricant. Look at it
carefully to see which way it has to be turned. There should be visible
stops on the valve body or valve handle that allows it to be turned only
90 degrees, so you have to turn it the correct way. Applying some extra
pressure pressure by using pliers should not hurt it if you make sure
you are moving it the correct way. If you get it to start moving, you
are probably on the way. If it doesn't turn without large force, it
might be time to call the repair and let him talk you through it.