Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Heater boiler problem

On 1/24/2021 1:11 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 2:12:56 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

Is the gas valve on the pipe to the boiler turned on? If this is the
only gas appliance, is the outside gas valve turned on?

Well, it's not the only appliance. My gas stove works fine.

There are multiple wheels on the boiler, so I'll have take a closer look for clues. (Is there any other "switch" to look for, besides the electrical one, which is supposed to stay off until the pilot light is lit?)

Btw, it's a condo. The room with all the boilers is in the basement, shut off from the laundry room. It's always toasty in there, despite the vents to the outside.

And, to trader_4, yes, I had the button in the right position - the directions are printed on the boiler, so I wouldn't have turned the arrow to "on" until after I'd used the pilot position successfully.

If you would normally hear gas flow when lighting the pilot, and you do
not now, that would suggest the gas valve on the gas pipe might be
turned off. Maybe someone decided not to feed the pilot light all
summer. There should be an obvious red or yellow handled valve on a
black iron pipe near where the pipe goes into the burner. If that valve
handle points 90 degrees to the direction of the pipe, it is probably off.