Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] lenona321@yahoo.com is offline

Default Heater boiler problem

There were several repairs done on the heating boilers (not water heaters) in this building, about two months ago. I had a new T&P (temperature and pressure relief valve?) installed, at their suggestion. (Cost: $294.)

So, now, when I decided to turn on the heat (I have a high tolerance for cold), I can't light the pilot at all. This has NEVER happened, in 20-plus years. In the past, I only had trouble, twice, getting the pilot light to STAY on. The first time, I just waited 12 hours or so before trying again, and the second time (a later year), a worker came out and fixed some wires.

THIS time, I didn't even hear the hiss of gas, when I depressed the pilot button.

More than one source says the problem is likely the thermocouple - too much dust, maybe. I've seen pictures of different kinds, so I will check. Any other theories?

The big question is, if dusting it doesn't help, can I get the same company I mentioned to fix the problem for free, since I suspect they caused it? What other proof would I need?

Thank you.

Lenona.