Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Excessive voltage drop at outlet cause induction cooktop to notwork

On 1/23/2021 6:41 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 01:00:59 +0000, jay
wrote:

I have an outlet with excessive voltage drop when I plug in an induction cooktop (1000 watt). The outlet measures 120 but the voltage drops to 105 when the cooktop is plugged in. The cooktop stops working because of the low voltage. This does not occur in other outlets.

You have a bad connection somewhere between there and the panel. I
would start with the receptacle right there and then try to trace it
back one at a time until you find the bad one. If they are back
stabbed, it is far from unusual. You may see signs of overheating. You
are creating about 125 watts worth of heat in that bad connection.

Or, a long run of #14 wire. I replaced a #14 run with #12, and the
output of my electric heater I used there felt like it doubled in heat.