Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Excessive voltage drop at outlet cause induction cooktop to not work

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 24 Jan 2021 01:00:59 +0000, jay
wrote:

I have an outlet with excessive voltage drop when I plug in an induction cooktop (1000 watt). The outlet measures 120
but the voltage drops to 105 when the cooktop is plugged in. The cooktop stops working because of the low voltage.
This does not occur in other outlets.

You may have a bad connection at the outlet. Is it warm to the touch,
even the plastic parts? When being used for cooking.

Maybe one or both screws is loose. Less likely but possible, the wire
is cracked.

Possibly the other outlets youve checked are not on same breaker, in
which case the bad connection could be AT the breaker.

I suppose it could be internal to the receptacle, the metal tab broke
inside. I've never heard of this except for this one time wheh they
weren't broken, just tired**, but if the recept. is warm, or hot, the
problem is the receptacle or within an inch of it.

**I one time had a room heater plugged into a one-plex receptacle in a
building built in 1930. It was about 1980. I woke up to see one inch
flames coming from the hard rubber plug of the heater. I don't know how
long it was burning. Pulling out the plug made the flames go out. The
receptacle was old, it didn't squeeze the prongs of the heater like it
once did, it provided electrical resistance and got hot, accordign to
Power = amps x volts where the volts are the voltage drop at that spot.
And the amps are what the heater drew, even though it was drawing a
little bit less because of the voltage drop.