Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Modern [table] lamps rant

On 23/01/2021 23:57, Michael Chare wrote:
On 23/01/2021 17:26, Chris Green wrote:
Why is it that table and desk lamps are so badly designed nowadays, I
have several I have bought over the past couple of years and not one
of them is ideal.Â* It's not as if getting it right would be difficult,
it's just total lack of thought about the design.

I bought a bedside lamp only a few years ago. All I have to do
to turn it on or off is to touch the metal shaft or base.

I would quite like to buy a floor standing reading light for my wife but
I have yet to find a suitable one, especially as I want one where I can
change the bulb.Â* These days some lamps are made with LEDs where you
would have to scrap the lamp if they fail.

LEDs in conventional light fittings are more likely to fail because the
LED or the electronics are squashed into such a small space with little
heat-sinking. Heat kills LEDS and the associated electronics.

I have floor standing LED reading lamps where the illuminated area is
16cm x 10cm and the fitting runs at around ambient room temperature.
They are around two years old already and I expect them to last for many
more years.

I don't worry too much about replacing fitting when they expire and most
of my ceiling lights are LED panels of various types.