Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Paint stripper

On 22/01/2021 20:57, newshound wrote:
On 22/01/2021 18:49, soup wrote:
On 22/01/2021 15:10, Andrew wrote:
On 22/01/2021 13:35, soup wrote:
I have already stripped one Bannister using a heat gun and the wood
looks really quite nice so I sanded it and it looks really good .

Thought I would strip the other aide too but as it is close to the wall
etc I do not wish to use the heat gun on it. I thought of a chemical
stripper .Â* Is there any that the group recommends or should I just be
very careful and use the gun?

Was it ever painted with lead paint ?.

Hope not, don't think so .

If Victorian it could well be. But, the lead salts in paint are not
volatile, just be slightly careful with the dust.

According to the government leaflet I've linked below, lead paint was
used up to the 1960s. My house was built in the 1930s and has plenty of
lead paint so I use a heat gun set to 400-450C and wear a mask. When
machine sanding I wear a mask and use a vacuum on the sander.
https://assets.publishing.service.go...intleaflet.pdf