Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Paint stripper

On 22/01/2021 22:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 21:55:15 +0000, alan_m wrote:

One other trick that can work if the screw is tight is to put the
screwdriver on the screw head and then give the other end of the screw
driver a whack with a hammer. Often then it starts to undo.

Old fashioned manual impact screwdriver. I still have mine, it's over 50
years old.

Mine's younger by about 10 years and has been used many times. The most
recent use was getting screws out of Crittall windows with 80 years of
paint over them - nothing else would do. Zapping the paint with a gas
torch and a bit of scraping revealed the outline of the slots; a couple
of taps on the impact driver and out came the screws. I tried using a
modern ID but the bit just came out of the slot.

Recently, when I couldn't find my old impact driver, I was surprised to
find out that SWMBO had a slightly newer one. Women today, thinking they
can use tools designed for men! Tch! ;-)