Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Battery for electric car.

In message , at 13:58:41 on Fri, 22 Jan
2021, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:

Just like the 15kW diversity in my house works (I haven't blown a main
fuse, ever) but if I added even an entry level 7.4kW EV wallbox I think
it probably would [blow the fuse]. I'm investigating getting it upgraded
to 100A as a result.

But surely that is pointless? As we've been told here the cables in your
street ain't built for it?

It's a Tragedy of the Commons. In the short term I could be an early
adopter and have a charger installed, and my one extra load wouldn't be
especially significant. But as soon as several neighbours do the same,
the power company might have to start rationing new installations (or in
the longer term digging up the road to install a bigger cable).

In practice, what seems to happen first isn't actual cables melting
(that's a metaphor) or fuses blowing at the substation, but buried
junction boxes start going intermittent. There's a road near me where
they've dug up and replaced them piecemeal (every hundred yards or so)
over the last few years. So you get a good look every time they dig.

I think the extra demand in that instance has been new-builds/
extensions, rather than car chargers.
--
Roland Perry