Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Who Is Willing To Make This Cut?

On 1/22/2021 2:04 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 13:17:16 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/22/2021 10:36 AM, Brian Welch wrote:
On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 9:19:14 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 7:12:34 AM UTC-5, Brian Welch wrote:
On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 10:00:58 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 10:44:11 AM UTC-5, Brian Welch wrote:
On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 4:18:12 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Sonny wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9-
:
That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to
the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so
slightly.

Puckdropper
It does not appear that the image is taken during the sawing action,
looks like just the tightening of the clamp.
Seriously? What do you think happens next?
I don't have a real concern with the set-up other than, as said before,
repeatability or even consistency during the cut. Agree that it looks
like the leading edge might be inclined to "dive" under the stop block.
Reversing the bevel, with the leading edge up high, might offer a more
consistent approach...

Not sure, let's watch the video together and find out...
A properly functioning human brain has the ability to combine current inputs,
be they imagery, written words, or both, and combine them with past experiences
to imagine/predict what will happen in the future.

When I look at an image that includes a table saw, miter gauge, a piece of wood, etc.
and then read the words "Attach a stop with a clamp at 7 in. along the miter gauge to
get consistent cuts" my brain draws on past experiences with those objects and
helps me to put together a mental image of what comes next.

My brain tells me that sometime in the near future the person in the picture is going
to turn on the table saw and push the miter gauge forward, resulting in an "sawing
action", to use your words. Sure, he may pause for a sip of coffee, don a pair of safety
glasses, or maybe even take a nap, but based on the image and the words provided,
I am pretty confident that a "sawing action" is relatively imminent.
well put...so much for my properly functioning brain...
grin

Don't be discourage by some of the comments. You should have seen the
flack I took when I thought the SawStop was a good idea 20 years ago.
Those people probably voted for Biden. ;~)

Blasphemy! No one said that SawStop wasn't a good idea, only that it
was too expensive and it's creator an asshole. Only Elon Musk even
approaches Gass in that department.

Biden? sheesh

Now Now. :~) Some said it was vapor ware and would not come to market.
Some said that it would be having many false triggers.