Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Who Is Willing To Make This Cut?

On 1/22/2021 10:56 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 04:14:34 -0800 (PST), Brian Welch
wrote:

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 9:58:30 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 8:19:47 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 09:18:08 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

[SNIP]

What would happen if the piece got a little loose and shifted/"twisted"
sideways a bit?
Good point...one reason why I would have preferred the reverse bevel
cut...

It looks like he's using a small saw that doesn't have a lot of power
so there's little actual danger--the thing will likely stall instead
of throwing the workpiece.Â* The trouble with learning on small tools
is that you learn to expect a stall rather than the workpiece being
thrown into the next county or your liver, whichever it hits first.

I don't see that much of a kickback threat.Â* Unless there is some waste
or other object underneath the piece being cut off, the force being
applied by the saw blade is pushing the workpiece down and rearward into
the auxiliary fence on the miter gauge.

Any time the work piece is captured under a blade and against a solid
stop the potential is exaggerated for kick back.