Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Raise the voting age!

On 21/01/2021 16:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:

Is something preventing any local authority building more?

Thatcher specifically forbad the use of money obtained from the sale of
council housing being used to build more.

Is that quite right?

I'm pretty sure receipts went straight to the Treasury.

This is one article saying this:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...housing-crisis

There may be more. I never saw the necessity to offer a discount of the
magnitude offered.

I know someone who recently bought a maisonette. She had come into
inheritance money and would have moved out if there was no discount. All
she needs to do is say she's living there for the next 5 years and she's
made a substantial profit.

I thought it was that local authorities had to first pay off their debts
with the proceeds, after which they could fund new housing, if they wanted?

Found:

http://www.historyandpolicy.org/poli...y-and-prospect

which says, "However, from the outset there were restrictions on local
authorities use of receipts which largely reverted to the Treasury"