Posted to rec.woodworking

Default KV GS4270 Drawer Slides No Longer Fully Close

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 17:38:47 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 1/19/2021 12:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
About 5 years ago I installed 8 sets of the Knape & Vogt GS4270 full extension, soft close drawer slides.

One set, the one on the most frequently used drawer, no longer fully closes on its own. When I give the drawer its normal push, it glides to about 1/2" from fully closed and then stops. The soft close mechanism does engage, it just doesn't pull the drawer all the way closed. A gentle push gets it closed, but it's a "manual close" i.e. I don't feel the mechanism taking over.

I can "fix" the soft close issue by fully extending the drawer (the standard full extension reset method) but this only solves the soft close issue for a day or two, probably some X number of usages.

I called KV tech support and other than "make sure all the screws are tight" and "make sure nothing has shifted inside the cabinet", he had no other suggestions. When I asked about lubrication, he was pretty emphatic about not trying that.

Unless someone has a suggestion, I think replacement may be my only option.

I've never looked to see but I'd presume there's a number of cycles
design limit -- possible it is just wore out. I also have never
investigated just how the self-close mechanism works...

I think this is one of those deals where you pull one out, inspect it,
and based on the results of the inspection proceed from there. Who
knows, it may turn out that a few bucks spent at the local skate
emporium will have them working better than ever.