Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default KV GS4270 Drawer Slides No Longer Fully Close

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 11:39:13 PM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'd try cleaning everything in the slides... wheels, tracks, stops,
anything
that pivots. Perhaps with denatured alcohol on a course rag or a stiff
sponge. It is amazing how much fine crud can accumulate over time...

Thanks for the suggestion.

I took an interim step and blasted the slides with a 90 PSI air hose. There
was definitely some crud flying around. There was also evidence of some
type of lubrication, which I fear a full-fledge cleaning will remove.

If the blow-out doesn't help, I'll try the cleaning and then re-lubricate
the
slides. Even though KV tech support didn't recommend that, it's not like
I care if I somehow ruin the slides. They don't work properly at this point
anyway.

If they aren't too much trouble to remove from the cabinet and drawer it
might be worth soaking them down and using a brush to get into the nooks and
crannies. I'd think a LITTLE light or dry lubricant wouldn't hurt in the
bearings and on any pivot points. You don't want to attract any more crud!

I've had to do a lot of that type of thing in recent months... I have come
to the conclusion that I must be getting old (or am) as it seems everything
I own needs to be taken apart, cleaned, parts replaced as needed, and
reassembled... For example, my Porter Cable circular saw almost got me when
the blade guard stuck. My Arrow hammer stapler kept jamming. The top blade
guide bearing on my 18" band saw froze up with gunk. The pull starter on my
snowblower needed to be cleaned and repaired and the skids replaced. I had
to do a valve job on the snowblower too as the exhaust valve wasn't closing.
Much of the lawn mower had to be taken apart, cleaned (even with
electrolysis), lubed and reassembled. The list of gunked up stuff goes on
and on! I've been doing a lot of that kind of work at my parents' house
too... They've got a lead on me. ;~)