Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default KV GS4270 Drawer Slides No Longer Fully Close

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

About 5 years ago I installed 8 sets of the Knape & Vogt GS4270 full
extension, soft close drawer slides.

One set, the one on the most frequently used drawer, no longer fully closes
on its own. When I give the drawer its normal push, it glides to about
1/2" from fully closed and then stops. The soft close mechanism does
engage, it just doesn't pull the drawer all the way closed. A gentle push
gets it closed, but it's a "manual close" i.e. I don't feel the mechanism
taking over.

I can "fix" the soft close issue by fully extending the drawer (the
standard full extension reset method) but this only solves the soft close
issue for a day or two, probably some X number of usages.

I called KV tech support and other than "make sure all the screws are
tight" and "make sure nothing has shifted inside the cabinet", he had no
other suggestions. When I asked about lubrication, he was pretty emphatic
about not trying that.

Unless someone has a suggestion, I think replacement may be my only option.

I'd try cleaning everything in the slides... wheels, tracks, stops, anything
that pivots. Perhaps with denatured alcohol on a course rag or a stiff
sponge. It is amazing how much fine crud can accumulate over time...