Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Welch Brian Welch is offline

Default Cutting Steel with Circular Saw Blades

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 12:16:23 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 4:09:24 PM UTC-5, Brian Welch wrote:
On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 3:17:00 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/18/2021 12:41 PM, Brian Welch wrote:
On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 6:48:47 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/17/2021 9:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 3:48:41 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm installing a railing and need to cut the metal. I've got a hacksaw and
a portable circular saw, so naturally which one do I grab? The circular
saw.

I found out why they say not to cut steel with most blades. It throws hot
chips all over and dulls the blade pretty quick.

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Learned something else... Sanders are awesome at deburring steel.. I tried
doing it with a file, then switched to the sander and wow what a
difference! Got the piece deburred, rounded, and cleaned in a minute
rather than taking 5 or more with the file.

Puckdropper

I've mostly cut metal on my miter saw using a metal cutting wheel.. I don't
recall if I ever tried it in a circular but it wouldn't surprised me if I did.
I have a circular saw with a metal/cement cutting blade. That is all it
is used for.

Looks like a large cut off wheel for an angle grinder.
Not to pick nits, but never heard of saw blade used for cutting cement. Concrete, yes, masonry most definitely yes...
There is also a brand of saw system designed specifically for cutting steel with an electric saw. Evolution. I believe it is possible to bush the arbor down to fit a standard or worm drive saw. https://store.evolutionpowertools.co...e_circular-saw

You might also be interested in knowing that concrete is made up of
cement, sand , and an regenerate.

My point precisely...cement is merely an ingredient in concrete, along with water, sand and aggregate...and occasionally super-plasticizer, retarder, air entraining agent etc...
As a concrete contractor for many years, it has been a pet peeve of mine when the terms cement and concrete are used interchangeably...
All good...

Do you feel the same about Kleenex (tissues), Velcro (hook and loop), Sawzall (reciprocating saw), Skilsaw (circular saw), etc.?

I do.

Lots more for us to be pet-peeved about he

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...-generic-terms

Wow, quite a list...the majority are news to me... Thanks for sharing...