Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Battery Technology.

tim... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
https://qz.com/1588236/how-we-get-to...-breakthrough/

"Charging an electric car costs much less than paying for an equivalent
amount of gasoline"

only because 90% of the consumer cost of "gas" is an artificial tax

Given that the costs of making electricity from carbon fuels is about
par with any alternative method, it cannot possibly be the case that
"raw" electric "fuel" costs less than raw carbon fuel.

When someone presents a graphic like the one here, you'd need
to study their sums very carefully for mistakes. The article itself
mentions potential sources of error or what metrics might be best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_o...city_by_source

"Note: Some caution must be taken when using formulas for the
levelized cost, as they often embody unseen assumptions,
neglect effects like taxes, and may be specified in real
or nominal levelized cost. For example, other versions of
the above formula do not discount the electricity stream."

But I've been seeing articles on Arstechnica for the last couple
of years, where it's been mentioned that wind farm developers have
been offering very attractive contracts for power. It's just possible
that the graphic in that article, declaring wind a winner, isn't
far off.

But since those graphs are also used to "sell things",
we can't really trust them all that much.

Paul