Posted to sci.electronics.repair
George Alibinisis George Alibinisis is offline

Default Commodore 1084S monitor

On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 2:55:52 AM UTC+2, Rayner Lucas wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Monday, March 17, 2003 at 12:16:39 AM UTC+2, A. W. Jackson wrote:
I recently purchased a second-hand Commodore 1084S monitor to use with
my old videogame consoles (SNES, Saturn, etc.). I've tried the
monitor out and it is fully functional, but there's a slight flaw in
the picture. There are fuzzy vertical bars of slightly lighter/darker
brightness (most clearly visible against a black picture) near the
left edge of the screen, running the entire length of the screen from
top to bottom. The bars' position and size change when I adjust the
horizontal position and horizontal size knobs, so they're apparently
not actual phosphor burn-in (which leads me to hope that I might be
able to repair the problem). What kind of defect/damage might be
responsible for these bars, and is it repairable?

Hi Alex! Did you ever solve this? Having exactly the same issue with
exactly the same monitor. Thank you in advance!

It's been over 17 years since the original message was posted, so it's
unlikely that anyone remembers the result even if it did get fixed.

What have you tried so far to fix or narrow down the problem, if
anything?

It sounds like some kind of ghosting or ringing; is there a picture you
could upload anywhere (Imgur or similar) so we can see what it looks
like?

I'd start by swapping the video cable and also trying a different video
source, just to make sure it really is the monitor at fault. Then I'd
replace all electrolytic capacitors on general principle. These monitors
are decades old and there are probably multiple caps that have gone out
of spec by now, so just doing the whole lot can save multiple rounds of
troubleshooting.

There's a service manual for this monitor available at
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...tics/monitors/. The scan
quality is poor, but it's certainly better than nothing.

Rayner

--
Big-8 Management Board: https://www.big-8.org
Homepage: http://magic-cookie.co.uk

Hi Rayner,

Firstly just wanna say to the Google Groups Einstein that the 18 year period doesn't matter as long as the problem was solved and the guy is still around on this earth. The Commode/Amiga retro-scene is very much alive.

Now I have posted lots of pics and info in this thread. I have already recapped the monitor and done a lot of measurements.

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/com...-lines.396322/

I thought I'd also ask here as Alex faced the exact same problem.

Thanks for your time Rayner.