Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Reviewing a cheap CRT degaussing wand

On 2021/01/17 2:02 p.m., wrote:
On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 12:34:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:
whit3rd wrote:

==============

Some soldering guns use a hairpin winding on a toroid core; those do NOT give
external field, they're self-shieding, but a 5" diameter simple wire loop connected instead of the
short tip will do a degaussing task adequately.

** I have read that a magnet attached to the chuck of a power drill, running at high speed, can also be used to demag a TV tube.

Never tried it - seems a bit dodgy.

You think? Seems an understatement for you, Phil...

I can envision some Einstein attaching a magnet to a drill with cellophane tape, and watching in stunned horror as the magnet flies off and smashes the glass top coffee table..

Or explodes the picture tube!

John :-#(#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com