Posted to sci.electronics.repair
George Alibinisis George Alibinisis is offline

Default Commodore 1084S monitor

On Monday, March 17, 2003 at 12:16:39 AM UTC+2, A. W. Jackson wrote:
I recently purchased a second-hand Commodore 1084S monitor to use with
my old videogame consoles (SNES, Saturn, etc.). I've tried the
monitor out and it is fully functional, but there's a slight flaw in
the picture. There are fuzzy vertical bars of slightly lighter/darker
brightness (most clearly visible against a black picture) near the
left edge of the screen, running the entire length of the screen from
top to bottom. The bars' position and size change when I adjust the
horizontal position and horizontal size knobs, so they're apparently
not actual phosphor burn-in (which leads me to hope that I might be
able to repair the problem). What kind of defect/damage might be
responsible for these bars, and is it repairable? I checked the
sci.electronics.repair TV repair and monitor repair FAQs and didn't
see anything that looked closely similar to my problem.
Also, I've been searching the web for information on this monitor, but
it seems that at different times (or in different territories)
Commodore sold several different monitors labelled "1084S", because
all the "1084S" documentation I've found on the web so far seems to be
for completely different monitors from mine. The monitor I have is a
"1084S-P" manafactured by Phillips in June 1988, according to the
label on the back. It has, for inputs, four RCA jacks (CVBS/L, C,
L.Audio and R.Audio), an 8-pin DIN for TTL RGB, and a 6-pin DIN for
analog RGB. There is also a plastic cover on the back which looks to
be the right shape and size for an SCART connector (possibly because
Commodore used the same case for both North American and European
versions of this monitor?) Also on the back are knobs for horizontal
position, horizontal size, vertical position, vertical size, a
pushbutton for switching between CVBS and LCA, and a pushbutton
labeled "VCR" whose function is unclear to me (nothing seems to change
on the screen when I push it). The front panel has knobs for hue,
brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, and volume, and a pushbutton
for switching between CVBS and RGB. Does anyone know where I can
download detailed information (such as a user's manual, or by some
miracle a schematic) for a "1084" matching this particular
description?
--Alex W. Jackson--

Hi Alex! Did you ever solve this? Having exactly the same issue with exactly the same monitor. Thank you in advance!