Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Laptop - worth increasing RAM?

On Sunday, 17 January 2021 at 14:36:31 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/01/2021 10:02, RJH wrote:
On 17 Jan 2021 at 09:57:53 GMT, "The Natural Philosopher"
wrote:

On 17/01/2021 09:41, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 15 January 2021 at 21:55:22 UTC, undefined wrote:
Acer ES1-521 with 8Gb RAM, AMD A6-6310 CPU, Radeon R4 Graphics1Tb HDD.
It seems to have one memory slot occupied, one empty. Running Win10
64bit.

On my current notebook, which has 8GB and is running 64-bit W10, 414 MB is
reserved by hardware.

And Task Manager shows 7.8 GB is in use. Just doing browsing, and a couple
of Office apps.

Here on linux mint, I have browser, thunderbird, and an open Libre
Office writer session going, and its just 3,2GB - with another 3GB disk
cache.

Latest Firefox seems to have fixed the memory leak.

Why does Firefox use so much memory - over 1GB on a Mac? Chrome (my main
browser) and Safari use 100-200MB.

Perhaps the question could be reframed as why do modern web pages need
so much memory to render? Part of the answer is that web designers don't
often seem to put much effort into reducing memory use any more, but
mostly the amount of background "crap"[1] that is loaded by the average
web page is now *vast*

[1] tracking, analytics, profiling, marketing - not uncommon for an
almost empty looking page to come with 100's of megs of stuff you can't
see.

Couldn't agree more.

A site I use often has just had its website re-re-written.

Version 1: A bit creaky but fast and simple - well over ten years old. In all its life, hardly a single technical issue ever reported.

Version 2: Rewritten using WordPress in some guise. Much slower. Lots of silly issues. Massive images - unnecessary as they were just used to add flavour not information. Imagine this NG having random pictures of workshops, paint, gardens, etc. uBlock Origin continually showing things blocked - despite there not being a single intentional advert on the site.

Version 3: Person who offered to sort out Version 2 more or less gave up as it was a terminal case. Completely re-written in something like the plain style of gov.uk. Superfast. uBlock Origin blocks nothing - as there is nothing which should be blocked. Haven't checked memory usage but its bandwidth must be modest. Things like a link to their facebook page is just that - a simple link. Not some huge script.

It is immensely frustrating that the web seems to get slower simply because of the huge burden being placed on it - unnecessarily.