Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting Steel with Circular Saw Blades

On 1/17/2021 8:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 3:48:41 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm installing a railing and need to cut the metal. I've got a hacksaw and
a portable circular saw, so naturally which one do I grab? The circular
saw.

I found out why they say not to cut steel with most blades. It throws hot
chips all over and dulls the blade pretty quick.

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Learned something else... Sanders are awesome at deburring steel. I tried
doing it with a file, then switched to the sander and wow what a
difference! Got the piece deburred, rounded, and cleaned in a minute
rather than taking 5 or more with the file.

Puckdropper

I've mostly cut metal on my miter saw using a metal cutting wheel. I don't
recall if I ever tried it in a circular but it wouldn't surprised me if I did.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-1...L01F/202831056

For a railing, I probably would have grabbed my angle grinder with either
a metal grinding wheel or cut-off wheel.

I was going to get rid of my old Delta miter saw when I bought the Bosch
glider, but I decided to save it for cutting crappy wood and metal. Years ago
I had access to a radial arm saw to cut through steel plates up to a 1/2" thick.
Using slow, shallow cuts on a tightly secured plate, you can make some
surprisingly smooth and accurate cuts.

I noticed some time back one of the industrial companies makes a table
saw for cutting steel. I've got a big broken DeWalt out back that
dwarfs my Delta. I've often thought about putting a steel slat table on
and converting to some sort of slow speed drive.

https://www.avg.com