Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_110_] Bill[_110_] is offline

Default Cutting Steel with Circular Saw Blades

Puckdropper wrote:
I'm installing a railing and need to cut the metal. I've got a hacksaw and
a portable circular saw, so naturally which one do I grab? The circular
saw.

I found out why they say not to cut steel with most blades. It throws hot
chips all over and dulls the blade pretty quick.

I wish you had video...I would never have expected You to be the one
reporting this! : ) A reciprocating saw might have been a good
choice too--but evidently you were in a hurry! Glad you weren't banged
up more than you were.

Lesson #2: Safety glasses aren't the end-all of safety. A chip found its
way past the glasses and while I'm ok it's a little sore there. I should
have been wearing a full face shield but I didn't have one on site.

Learned something else... Sanders are awesome at deburring steel. I tried
doing it with a file, then switched to the sander and wow what a
difference! Got the piece deburred, rounded, and cleaned in a minute
rather than taking 5 or more with the file.

Puckdropper