Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laptop - worth increasing RAM?

On 16/01/2021 10:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) used his keyboard to write :
Try an ssd first.

I have decided to leave it as is - an SSD of comparable size to my HDD
would make it a very expensive upgrade for what is now a battered old
machine. John's diagnostic method suggests I have more memory than I need.

Since I never needed the TB of disk mine came with I removed it and put
in a 120GB SSD drive.

faster on booting. Obviously programs that dont use the disk run at the
same speed they always did....

It's by no means slow, but a boost in response would not go amiss.

Fixing one issue a while ago, I caused another one - I managed to damage
the one of the USB + microSD card connections to the m/board. I managed
to pick up a good, cheap used one a couple of weeks ago, all now working
- in the process I noticed a spare ram slot, which got me wondering if
it might be worth while my doubling the ram, as cheap upgrade.

Getting more speed out of a computer is a case of diminishing returns.
Most code now on a single user computer fits comfortably in 8GB RAM with
no swapping. SSD improves boot time, but not running speed, and even
upping cache and cores in the CPU doesn't speed most stuff up that much.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)