Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Laptop - worth increasing RAM?

On 15/01/2021 23:07, Rambo wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 22:26:36 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 15/01/2021 22:22, alan_m wrote:
On 15/01/2021 21:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Acer ES1-521

For around £35 I would insert another 8G of RAM

I've performed this exercise on two laptops last year and for SOME
applications there has been a noticeable increase of speed.

That's because Dual Channel 64bit mode comes into play. I've never
understood why manufacturers only use one stick, when 2 modules is
always better( ie 2 x 4G will outperform 1 X 8G.) Saves them a few
pennies I suppose!

Just checked and I do believe this laptop may well utilise dual channel
mode with 2 modules fitted.

Still agree with John about SSDs. They make boot time shrink. They are
more rugged and take less power (I think). Though always back them up as
they tend to fail catastrophically without notice.