Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Laptop - worth increasing RAM?

On 15/01/2021 21:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Acer ES1-521

For around £35 I would insert another 8G of RAM

I've performed this exercise on two laptops last year and for SOME
applications there has been a noticeable increase of speed.

I would take the type number off the existing RAM to make sure that you
are matching the modules in both slots.

There is often a Youtube video showing how to insert RAM or how to get
the back cover in order to gain access to the RAM slots.

On a friends ACER (different to the OPs model) that I added RAM to it
was a tiny bit of a PITA because the RAM slots were on the keyboard side
of the main board requiring a few ribbon cable connections to be
unplugged and the screws holding down the main board to be removed in
order to lift off the main board.

I've just checked and the ES1-521 is similar
Instructions here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELcQ7P7shxw

If you have no experience of dismantling Laptops watch a few more
Youtube videos showing connector dismantling and/or repairing. If you
haven't seen some of these connectors before the various methods of
connection may not be that obvious - but extremely easy once you do
know. Its also worth a close-up photo with a mobile phone or equivalent
of what you are dismantling so you can see where things were meant to go
on re-assembly.