Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Reviewing a cheap CRT degaussing wand

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 10:47:08 PM UTC-8, John Robertson wrote:
On 2021/01/12 4:56 p.m., Rayner Lucas wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ,

I use a large Weller Soldering Gun when I can't find one of the
degaussing coils in the shop...

You need something that puts out a large AC field - like the unshielded
transformer used in soldering guns.

Some soldering guns use a hairpin winding on a toroid core; those do NOT give
external field, they're self-shieding, but a 5" diameter simple wire loop connected instead of the
short tip will do a degaussing task adequately.