Andrew Gabriel

Default victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?

In article ,
"IMM" writes:

Victorian house were speculative and only had a design life of about 50
years too. Every torn away some of the facade of Victorian houses? Bodgers
were there then too.

******** is the term which springs to mind.

The design life of most houses built from the Victorian era through
to the early 1960's (excluding some council prefab constructions) was
200 years. Due to the way buildings were purchased, it had to be
significantly more than 99 years, or they would only command leasehold
equivalent sale values.

With the relative increase in proportion of value of the plot over the
building since 1960's in some locations at least, this is perhaps less of
an issue today, but I'm still amazed people pay top freehold prices for
new homes whose life expectancy would appear to be less than the point
where you start depreciating a leasehold value due to impending end of
lease.

Still, while the developers can get away with it and no one seems to
have noticed, I suppose you can hardly blame them ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel