Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default So that is what electricians did in the 1963 big freeze

On 12/01/2021 20:21, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
https://youtu.be/658eoX3ERAs?t=1500

I'm too idle to watch it all.

The company I was training at as a technician apprentice had a nice line
in producing low voltage transformers used to pass a current through
buried frozen water pipes:-)

Wouldn't do much with blue poly now!

I grew up in South Wales and our water pipe was frozen for about
6 weeks from mid-Jan 63. Dad had to go next door with a hosepipe
(their pipe didn't freeze) and fill out tank in the loft every day.

Then one day I got home from school and the water was on. The council
had come round with a generator of some sort, connect one cable to the
stop cock under the pavement and the other to the stop cock inside
the house heated up the pipe.