Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Computer keyboard problem

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

First thing to try is that keyboard on another pc.

He hasn’t got another one, but can use a linux live CD.

But he knows that it works fine in other software.

One has to isolate that it is indeed the keyboard and not some subtle key
scanning fault in the pc.

Or just the software.

Is there any electronics in the keyboard?

There is in them all now.

Could be that its just a failed logic gate

Not now it works fine in other software,

and is probably unrepeatable.

Fraid it is repeatable.

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to why one key - and only one
key - on my PC keyboard should suddenly have stopped working.

The key in question is f11 which I'm trying to program with a Word macro.
Until yesterday it was working perfectly with a slightly different
version of the same macro.

The keyboard is an admittedly quite elderly (and expensive, when bought)
Cherry model which in every other respect is working fine.

I've tried opening the case and cleaning the keyboard's innards, both
with a brush and an air spray. There's no visible damage either to the
underside of the board or (with the key cap removed) to the individual
switch.

Thanks.