Posted to uk.d-i-y
R D S[_2_] R D S[_2_] is offline

Default Ventilation in 1930s houses - wall vents upstairs

On 10/01/2021 20:16, David wrote:

All this got me thinking about ventilation.
With double glazing and draught proofing round doors and blocking up (or
not installing) fireplaces modern houses seem to have minimal ventilation.
This is generally a good thing to avoid heat loss, but can be a problem if
too much moisture is generated (drying clothes, cooking) with no air
exchange.

A classic problem which pops up on here from time to time.
Mould on the walls because people refuse to open windows because of lost
heat and the cost of heating.

I feel sorry for landlords in this respect (i'm not one).

I see tenants ****ing and moaning in the local rag/Facebook etc about
'damp'. Especially the workshy ones who are in all day. Arms folded and
compo-face scowling at a mouldy wall.

We've a dehumidifier on in the room we dry clothes in and always crack
the upstairs windows open for a few hours while we aren't using the rooms.

If we don't we get 'damp', especially where there is furniture or
similar up against the walls.