Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default broken ball valve lever handle replacement

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 12:45:08 AM UTC-5, MauiDave wrote:
I have a ball valve that controls water supply to an in ground sprinkler system. The handle on the valve rusted and broke off. I can still turn the valve using vice grips, but i want to replace the handle. My question is this... do I need to shut off the water main to the house in order to change the handle? Can I take the half inch nut off the top and just change the handle without shutting the water main off?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-3087094-.htm

Yes, you can remove the nut that holds the handle on to the end of the
stem without turning the water off. The only question is what condition
the end of the stem is in and if you can find a new valve that has the same
handle. If it does not come off easily, spray it with some penetrating lube,
let it soak awhile. If you don't have that, use some WD40 or similar.