Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Ventilation in 1930s houses - wall vents upstairs

On 11/01/2021 10:21, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I live in a house from 1939.It has no cavity walls. At ground level the air
bricks are below the floor, but have had to have gauze over them to stop
wasps. Upstairs the bricks are near the ceiling of all the rooms and the
bedrooms chimneys had gas fires fitted up from the coal fires downstairs.
There is only one chimney, but its brought from two coal fires below via
alcoves eith an arch. Blocking up the chimneys downstairs meant that the
bedrooms had a howling gale from the gas fires to the air bricks. The gas
fires were removed or blocked off and a special anti resonant cowling fitted
on chimney to stop the whole lot sounding like an organ pipe.
New the problem with the air bricks was that the ceiling curved at the
edges where the eaves are, and the only flat bit was the air brick so the
normally wide slide to cover devices could not fit as the sides hit the
curved ceilings. Hence we have a number blocked and others with temp bits of
cardboard stuck over them.
Luckily the loft is insulated, as before we double glazed we used to get
icicles on the ceiling due, no doubt to an oil heater we had in the hallway
kicking out water vapour.
No sign of mould but my bathroom really needs a fan over the air vent in
the winter as a nice hot bath makes the walls run with water at the moment.
Brian

Eek. How many Kilowatts of leccy do you use every year ?.
I seem to recollect that you don't have gas, and heating a
solid-walled, ?poorly insulated property with electric must
be difficult and expensive.