Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default What sort of internet download speeds are you guys getting

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 08:08:06 +1100, "Fred" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Your WiFi sounds like it's using the 2.4GHz band. If you switch to the
5GHz
band you'll likely see the same 235/11 that you see on the wired
computer.

Not always, plenty of modems cant do the higher speeds on wifi.

I made that exact change on my wife's laptop last year and she's
happy with the extra speed. I used a $10 tp-link WiFi adapter
that's about the size of a thumb nail, plugged into a USB port.

I just tried adjusting my laptop wifi settings in Device Mgr -
no improvement at all.

You need to change the channel used and that
isnt usually done in the device manager.

Also logged into the router and couldn't even
find any speed settings in their menus ..

You need to change the channel used, not the speed settings.

My router channel selections are Auto, 1, 2, 3, 4, .. 11.

And that's what you should be changing to see if
you can get a better thruput with a less busy channel.

No mention of ghz ..

You only get that when the router can do more than one band.

The laptop Wifi has 802.11n channel width
selections for band 2.4 and band 5.2

Those are the ghz. That's the band frequency, not the thruput speed.

But the band frequency pretty much dictates the maximum throughput.
2.4 tops out at 450 or 600 - 5.2 can support up to 1300 Mbps