Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default What sort of internet download speeds are you guys getting

On 1/10/2021 11:07 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 10:48:56 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 1/10/2021 10:40 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

40 down / 40 up ...
.. over home wifi , fiber fed ; 12 year old laptop and router.

https://www.sasktel.com/personal/int...est/speed-test

I got 235 down and 11 up going to that link . I am rated for 200 and 10
by the cable company.

My over 10 year old computer is connected through about 3 feet of wire
to the modem/router. I have noticed that on my laptop and another
computer that is wireless to the router I get around 50 for the down and
11 for the up . The laptop is only around 2 years old.

Just measured 720 down and 40 up using Ethernet connection to desk top.
WiFi might be a third that.

I just tried the ethernet cable directly to my laptop -
51 down / 51 up ... I expected more improvement -
but I don't have any knowledge of all the technology ..
We can usually stream and zoom over the wifi with few problems
so I'm happy. Last week's return to home-schooling caused
significant widespread slow-downs on day-1.
John T.

Guess it depends on distance from the modem. My laptop and desk top are
on the first floor catercorner from the modem and the two thirds drop
are what I recall from the past. I have an Ethernet cable now split to
both. I was lucky to have had a consulting client that insisted on the
cable as he did not want WiFi used when I accessed his site with his
computer and he paid for the install. We also have Comcast's top tier
internet and I'm probably spoiled with it but even some days there may
be a noticeable slowdown.