TURTLE

Default My Air Conditioner -- I don't think I goofed up....

"Clay Harryman" wrote in message om...
Short version -- I ran a new wire from the blower to the compressor.
My blower used to work but now it doesn't. Ideas?

Long version -- A couple of months ago, our air conditioner compressor
quit working. The blower would come on, but only hot air came out.
We called a professional (ARS) who showed me the problem. A
2-conductor wire that connects the blower to the compressor had a
break somewhere down the line on the ground side. He said he could
run it for about $300, or I could do it myself for less than $10. I
chose the second route. In the meantime, he grounded the return wire
to the compressor body and everything worked fine.

To be honest, I was content to leave it that way, but my wife insisted
I fix it the way I was shown.

Today, I finally had the time to try to fix it. First I turned
everything off at the thermostat. I got 50' of 3-conductor intercom
wire from Radio Shack. If one of the conductors breaks, I have a
redundancy to fall back on. It was just enough to reach from the
blower to the compressor. I attached the red conductor to the red
wire on the blower. I attached the green conductor to the white wire
on the blower. I then went to the compressor and plugged my red wire
into the wire nut that held the red wire from the original wire.
Finally I connected the green conductor into the wire nut that held
the white wire from the original. Got all that? I'm not sure I do.

Ok. I made sure all the connections were tight. Wire nuts outside.
Butt connectors inside. Electrical tape over all the connections.
(Yeah, I live in Texas. Tape does it all! . I went to the
thermostat and turned it on, now the blower won't even come on.

Any ideas on what might have happened?

Thank you,
Clay Harryman

This is Turtle.

When you tell us what type system you have.We could begin to give you a answer. Until then forget a good answer.

Is it Central air Heating & Cooling , Heat Pump, Window unit, Mini-Split, Wall hanger with remote condenser, or 6 other type system
sold today.

Is the wires your running control wire 24 volt service or 120 volt service or 220 volt service or what type wire are you dealing
with ?

Now if it is 120 volt service to the fan and condenser unit being grounded to the compressor shell and making it work. Well this is
very damgerous and should not be done.

Let us know what your dealing with and then someone may be able to answer with some good answers.

TURTLE

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).